Welcome


Welcome.

When I wrote that banner above, I was just days into this adventure. I'm a pretty analytical guy, and the simple act of writing every day helped me wrap my head around the fact that I had just introduced the word "cancer" into my vocabulary, and it helped me rationalize my treatment options. It also helped keep friends and family informed on my status.

Those daily updates tapered off to weekly updates and eventually to monthly updates (which I continue to do on the 11th of every month, the anniversary date of being told I have cancer).

I've kept this blog going because I remember how helpful it was for me to hear first-hand experiences of other prostate cancer patients. I wanted to return the favor by sharing my own journey in order to educate others and increase prostate cancer awareness.

But I wanted it to be a truthful sharing of details, so you will quickly see that I didn't sugar-coat much of anything. That means that you'll find some pretty graphic descriptions of the male anatomy and biological functions in this blog.

Finally, if you're reading this as a fellow prostate cancer patient, please understand that I am not a medical professional, and you should not construe any of the content of this blog as medical advice. Each case is unique, so please solicit the advice of your own medical team.

I wish you all the best as you go through your own journey.

-- Dan

Monday, December 27, 2010

Day 47 - Quiet


One of the gifts that I received for Christmas (by request) was a new, big, fluffy bathrobe for use in the hospital and around the house afterwards.  Of course, I had to take it for a rigorous test spin when I got out of bed this morning.  I wore it all day.  All freakin’ day.  J  It works great!
That meant today was a day of total relaxation.  No calls.  No lists.  No organizing.  No cleaning.  Not even checking the mail.  Just lounging around in my robe, getting caught up on reading some magazines, watching a little Food Network, and even taking a little cat nap in the middle of the day.
All good things must come to an end, however.  When I went to get dressed to go to the market, I couldn’t find my wallet.  Full panic ensued.
I tore apart my home office, bedroom, utility room, truck, both bathrooms, and even went through the trash and dirty laundry.  It was nowhere to be found.  I knew that I had it with me for the trip back from my sister’s yesterday—I took money out of it to pay the toll on the highway—so I knew it had to be here someplace. 
Then I remembered…  I had gone into the living room to make a phone call last night and forgot that I took it out of my pocket when I sat on the sofa.  There it was on the coffee table.  Crisis averted.
So now that I found it, I can head off to the market and restock for the week.  Tomorrow, I’ll get back into the preparation mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment