Welcome


Welcome.

When I wrote that banner above, I was just days into this adventure. I'm a pretty analytical guy, and the simple act of writing every day helped me wrap my head around the fact that I had just introduced the word "cancer" into my vocabulary, and it helped me rationalize my treatment options. It also helped keep friends and family informed on my status.

Those daily updates tapered off to weekly updates and eventually to monthly updates (which I continue to do on the 11th of every month, the anniversary date of being told I have cancer).

I've kept this blog going because I remember how helpful it was for me to hear first-hand experiences of other prostate cancer patients. I wanted to return the favor by sharing my own journey in order to educate others and increase prostate cancer awareness.

But I wanted it to be a truthful sharing of details, so you will quickly see that I didn't sugar-coat much of anything. That means that you'll find some pretty graphic descriptions of the male anatomy and biological functions in this blog.

Finally, if you're reading this as a fellow prostate cancer patient, please understand that I am not a medical professional, and you should not construe any of the content of this blog as medical advice. Each case is unique, so please solicit the advice of your own medical team.

I wish you all the best as you go through your own journey.

-- Dan

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day 36 - Snow


Snow.  Shoveling snow at 6:30 AM.  Ugh.
I was supposed to meet a friend for breakfast at 7:00 AM and we knew that it would be a little iffy with the forecast.  Sure enough, there was about three inches of snow on the ground this morning, and that was enough to postpone our meeting, so I was out shoveling it off the drive before heading to work.
I stayed up reading my new book, “Surviving Prostate Cancer,” a little later than I should have been—11:45 PM—but it’s a very informative book.  I made it through about 85 of the 575 pages.  You’d think that I would be tossing and turning all night, digesting what I had just read.  I didn’t.  It was a good night’s sleep.
I’m still waiting to hear back from Dr. Indy concerning the follow-up questions that I sent to him at 9:30 AM Tuesday morning (it’s now 7:00 PM Thursday night).
I forgot to mention that I called the American Cancer Society hotline the other night and spoke to a very nice young woman.  Of course, they can’t give out specific guidance on medical treatment, but she pointed me in the direction of more information on their website.  
At work, I’m beginning to get things lined up for me to be out 6 weeks (with time off for the holidays in that number).  Making contact lists, step-by-step instructions for some of the quirky things that I do, etc.  I also approached one of my neighbors (with a snowblower) to see if he would be willing to clear my drive if/when it snows during the 4 weeks after the surgery that I'm not supposed to lift anything.  He kindly agreed.  (THANKS!!)
After work, I returned home to another inch of snow on the driveway, and a foot or so of snow piled up where the plow went by.  So I ended the day just as I had begun it—shoveling snow.  Ugh.

*     *     *

Oh.  I forgot.  An administrative note...  If you leave a comment using the "Anonymous" feature, it's truly that unless you leave a clue for me to figure out who you are...  Location... Initial(s)...  Of course, you may be intentionally trying to drive me nuts...  And that's okay, too!  

1 comment:

  1. With the exception of today, we have no problem shoveling sunshine
    everyday. Rain & 52 degrees today in the Arizona desert, but not bad to sit in the doctor's office. She had 2 comments: more exercise and get on a regular schedule!!! (failed to say I ride bike 3.5 miles 2 days)
    You can bet I had memories of Alaska with shoveling in the am and
    the city snowplow putting it all back for the pm. I know you are
    getting organized and getting some rest. Makes me feel good too. Working on holiday cards since you have inspired me. Hoping you hear from Dr. Indy before the weekend. How many days until Xmas???

    ReplyDelete