Welcome


Welcome.

When I wrote that banner above, I was just days into this adventure. I'm a pretty analytical guy, and the simple act of writing every day helped me wrap my head around the fact that I had just introduced the word "cancer" into my vocabulary, and it helped me rationalize my treatment options. It also helped keep friends and family informed on my status.

Those daily updates tapered off to weekly updates and eventually to monthly updates (which I continue to do on the 11th of every month, the anniversary date of being told I have cancer).

I've kept this blog going because I remember how helpful it was for me to hear first-hand experiences of other prostate cancer patients. I wanted to return the favor by sharing my own journey in order to educate others and increase prostate cancer awareness.

But I wanted it to be a truthful sharing of details, so you will quickly see that I didn't sugar-coat much of anything. That means that you'll find some pretty graphic descriptions of the male anatomy and biological functions in this blog.

Finally, if you're reading this as a fellow prostate cancer patient, please understand that I am not a medical professional, and you should not construe any of the content of this blog as medical advice. Each case is unique, so please solicit the advice of your own medical team.

I wish you all the best as you go through your own journey.

-- Dan

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 22 - Change of Plan

This day did not go as planned.  At all.
The plan?  To work from home while awaiting a FedEx delivery that required my signature, and then go in to work once it arrived.
The reality?  Yet another essentially sleepless night had me at 100% exhaustion when the alarm went off at 6:30 AM.  That’s three nights in a row of me not being able to stop the thoughts running through my head for any period of time.  My body just said, “Nope.  No more.  Not gonna do a thing,” and basically shut down. 
I stayed in bed into early afternoon and was able to get caught up on some sleep, but not without interruption by more of those random thoughts and a phone call from one of the doctor’s offices.  I feel better this afternoon, but still not 100%.
The FedEx package didn’t arrive until nearly 3:00 PM, and at that point, I decided not to go into work.  I’ll be marking today as a vacation day on the calendar.  Instead, I used the time to take care of a few errands that I otherwise would have had to take time off for.
I ran to the urologist’s office late this afternoon to sign a release form to release my records to the surgeon in Indy, and I stopped by the BMV at 4:00 PM to renew my license plates.  Merry Christmas, BMV!!
On the positive side of all this lost sleep, I do have a list of 18 questions (with 17 sub-questions) to ask the surgeons.  J  I’m sure they’re going to love me.  Enquiring minds do want to know…

No comments:

Post a Comment