Welcome


Welcome.

When I wrote that banner above, I was just days into this adventure. I'm a pretty analytical guy, and the simple act of writing every day helped me wrap my head around the fact that I had just introduced the word "cancer" into my vocabulary, and it helped me rationalize my treatment options. It also helped keep friends and family informed on my status.

Those daily updates tapered off to weekly updates and eventually to monthly updates (which I continue to do on the 11th of every month, the anniversary date of being told I have cancer).

I've kept this blog going because I remember how helpful it was for me to hear first-hand experiences of other prostate cancer patients. I wanted to return the favor by sharing my own journey in order to educate others and increase prostate cancer awareness.

But I wanted it to be a truthful sharing of details, so you will quickly see that I didn't sugar-coat much of anything. That means that you'll find some pretty graphic descriptions of the male anatomy and biological functions in this blog.

Finally, if you're reading this as a fellow prostate cancer patient, please understand that I am not a medical professional, and you should not construe any of the content of this blog as medical advice. Each case is unique, so please solicit the advice of your own medical team.

I wish you all the best as you go through your own journey.

-- Dan

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Day 42 - Preparation


Today was a productive day getting organized for being off work for six weeks.  I was able to pull some reference material together, contact lists, etc., for others to refer to while I’m out.  I also had an interesting phone call this afternoon with a gentleman from another of our locations.
He needed an assist with something he’s working on, and as we were wrapping up the conversation, I asked what his timeline was for a response.  I mentioned that I would be off work on January 4th for surgery and would try to get something to him before then.  He inquired about the surgery and when I told him that I had prostate cancer, he opened up.  He had been through the same surgery 3 months ago.  He shared his story with me and I really appreciated having another patient’s perspective.
I also had to call the FMLA/Short-term Disability (STD—could they possibly not think of a better acronym???) administrators to get that paperwork rolling.  The person on the other end of the phone showed little compassion.  When she asked why I needed to be out on leave and I told her that I had cancer, she didn’t even bat an eye before tabbing to the next field in her database.  Perhaps you become numb hearing everyone’s ailments all day long and my expectations are too high.
Tomorrow morning I have an appointment at the hospital for an EKG and some blood work; next week I have two appointments for more pre-surgery screening.  Hopefully everything comes out okay and no one stomps on the brakes to delay the surgery.
Finally, there were no real doubts about my decision today.  No second-guessing.  No buyer’s remorse.
Time to throw a load of laundry in the washer and get ready for Christmas Eve at my sister’s.

1 comment:

  1. As you travel "Over the river and through the woods" take care to be safe....Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete