Welcome


Welcome.

When I wrote that banner above, I was just days into this adventure. I'm a pretty analytical guy, and the simple act of writing every day helped me wrap my head around the fact that I had just introduced the word "cancer" into my vocabulary, and it helped me rationalize my treatment options. It also helped keep friends and family informed on my status.

Those daily updates tapered off to weekly updates and eventually to monthly updates (which I continue to do on the 11th of every month, the anniversary date of being told I have cancer).

I've kept this blog going because I remember how helpful it was for me to hear first-hand experiences of other prostate cancer patients. I wanted to return the favor by sharing my own journey in order to educate others and increase prostate cancer awareness.

But I wanted it to be a truthful sharing of details, so you will quickly see that I didn't sugar-coat much of anything. That means that you'll find some pretty graphic descriptions of the male anatomy and biological functions in this blog.

Finally, if you're reading this as a fellow prostate cancer patient, please understand that I am not a medical professional, and you should not construe any of the content of this blog as medical advice. Each case is unique, so please solicit the advice of your own medical team.

I wish you all the best as you go through your own journey.

-- Dan

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day 31 - REM



No, not the band.  Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep state.  Finally!!  I slept soundly last night.  Yay!
Today’s posting will be a potpourri of random thoughts…
*             *             *
There’s an everyday question that I’m beginning to have difficulty answering: “How are you doing?”
When someone asks that, I don’t know if it’s just a general, “Hey, how are you doing?” and they don’t have a clue as to what I’m going through; or if they’re in the know about my cancer and really want to know how I’m doing.
Just as I predicted on Day 1, the local gossip mill has spread the news pretty far and wide, so I really don’t know who knows.
So if I see someone in the hall and they ask, I’m a little reluctant to blurt out, “Okay for having cancer,” or something along those lines.  Especially if they don’t know.  Shocking people in hallways is not how I want to handle this. 
On the other hand, if someone is genuinely wanting to know how I’m coping with my cancer, and all they ask is “How are you doing?”--without bringing up the C-word--and I respond with a quick “Fine,” I don’t want them to think that I don’t want to talk about it or am blowing them off.
It’s definitely an unexpected situation.
*             *             *
So the girls have their pink ribbon for breast cancer awareness.  Let me introduce you to the guys’ version for prostate cancer awareness:

I discovered that Googling for some information this morning.
*             *             *
I finished my Christmas shopping on this 40-degree, drizzly afternoon.  That will allow me to get things wrapped during a very blustery Sunday.  (I use the term “wrapped” loosely; gift bags are the greatest invention known to mankind since the wheel.)
So that’s it for today.  Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Dan....I agree, gift bags are the greatest invention to man-kind with emphasis on "man"..I love gift bags, I also love the people at the Mall that wrap gifts.....though I have yet to experience either yet this Holiday season...yes I am procrastinating, next weekend will be my shopping weekend. Many people don't understand the importance of REM sleep, it is so important to your body, it is a time that it repairs/rebuilds itself.......During my daily activity, I often think to my self...I wonder how my friend Dan is doing.....Take care my friend...and get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gift bags were a big part of the gift exchange at last night's party. I had to give up two favorite items and ended up with a huge gift bag...... one large
    bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream. The rules vary each year, but there seems
    to be more gift bags used each year (9th year for this group). If I don't get your annual gift in the mail Monday, it will not arrive before you are
    taking down your decorations. You'll be surprised this year because I shopped in July and I even found it yesterday! 13 days until Santa comes?? Desert will be 81 today, come on out. I'm okay if you are okay, Dan

    ReplyDelete