Welcome


Welcome.

When I wrote that banner above, I was just days into this adventure. I'm a pretty analytical guy, and the simple act of writing every day helped me wrap my head around the fact that I had just introduced the word "cancer" into my vocabulary, and it helped me rationalize my treatment options. It also helped keep friends and family informed on my status.

Those daily updates tapered off to weekly updates and eventually to monthly updates (which I continue to do on the 11th of every month, the anniversary date of being told I have cancer).

I've kept this blog going because I remember how helpful it was for me to hear first-hand experiences of other prostate cancer patients. I wanted to return the favor by sharing my own journey in order to educate others and increase prostate cancer awareness.

But I wanted it to be a truthful sharing of details, so you will quickly see that I didn't sugar-coat much of anything. That means that you'll find some pretty graphic descriptions of the male anatomy and biological functions in this blog.

Finally, if you're reading this as a fellow prostate cancer patient, please understand that I am not a medical professional, and you should not construe any of the content of this blog as medical advice. Each case is unique, so please solicit the advice of your own medical team.

I wish you all the best as you go through your own journey.

-- Dan

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day 43 - Tests

Today began with a drive to the hospital where I’m having surgery for some pre-surgery tests: EKG, blood work, and urine screening.  Of course there was one more round of medical history questions.  “When was the last time you stubbed your little toe?  When was the last time you had a hangnail?”  Okay, maybe not quite that bad.  But it seemed like it.
When I was done, I was completely registered for the surgery and the nurse even gave me the little plastic ID bracelet that I’ll have to wear once I'm admitted to the hospital.  “Make sure you bring this back on the day of the surgery,” she instructed me.  Wow.  I guess I just show up, put the bracelet on, get undressed, and lay on the stretcher.  I guess that’s efficient.
The rest of the day was spent making sure everything was in place at work for my extended absence. 
In the evening, I went to the local watering hole here in town to meet up with an old boss of mine and a few others for a holiday beverage or three.  My former boss left the company seven years ago and took a job in North Carolina.  It was good to get caught up and hear some of his funny memories of working here.
Well, it’s almost 9:00 PM and I should get things organized for tomorrow, Christmas Eve.  I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!

1 comment: