Welcome


Welcome.

When I wrote that banner above, I was just days into this adventure. I'm a pretty analytical guy, and the simple act of writing every day helped me wrap my head around the fact that I had just introduced the word "cancer" into my vocabulary, and it helped me rationalize my treatment options. It also helped keep friends and family informed on my status.

Those daily updates tapered off to weekly updates and eventually to monthly updates (which I continue to do on the 11th of every month, the anniversary date of being told I have cancer).

I've kept this blog going because I remember how helpful it was for me to hear first-hand experiences of other prostate cancer patients. I wanted to return the favor by sharing my own journey in order to educate others and increase prostate cancer awareness.

But I wanted it to be a truthful sharing of details, so you will quickly see that I didn't sugar-coat much of anything. That means that you'll find some pretty graphic descriptions of the male anatomy and biological functions in this blog.

Finally, if you're reading this as a fellow prostate cancer patient, please understand that I am not a medical professional, and you should not construe any of the content of this blog as medical advice. Each case is unique, so please solicit the advice of your own medical team.

I wish you all the best as you go through your own journey.

-- Dan

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 95 - Wondering




So I'm wondering if this is really behind me.

After posting yesterday's comments, my fever returned and peaked at 99.7 early last night.  So far, since midnight, the highest it's been is 99.0.  That's moving in the right direction.

The other thing that's been bugging me is this discomfort in my groin.  Initially, I thought it was from the drainage tube opening, but now I'm not so sure.  I'm wondering if it's lymph fluid building up again.

The one thing that hasn't happened yet is an increase in incontinence.  When I was in the hospital with the infection, the fluid was putting so much pressure on my bladder that I had little control over it.  I'm really hoping that I don't return to that state again if the fluid is building up.

Needless to say, this makes going back to work tomorrow questionable.  I'll play it by ear, and I'll also contact the surgeon to let him know what's happened since pullng the drain on Thursday.

*    *     *

Even with all that going on, I did manage to run out and buy some new pants today (I've lost 20 pounds since the surgery).  The weather has been great--sunny, warm, and in the upper 50's.

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck tomorrow for your first day back at work..... or even a half day.
    I'm assuming that you will be able to check in and at least get briefed on
    the latest. Glad to know your weather is improving. Arizona desert had
    80 at the airport and we only reached 75 in the northwest valley. Still have no problem shoveling sunshine every day. ngh who did NOT go to
    Mesa for the big concert.... a first!!!

    ReplyDelete