Welcome


Welcome.

When I wrote that banner above, I was just days into this adventure. I'm a pretty analytical guy, and the simple act of writing every day helped me wrap my head around the fact that I had just introduced the word "cancer" into my vocabulary, and it helped me rationalize my treatment options. It also helped keep friends and family informed on my status.

Those daily updates tapered off to weekly updates and eventually to monthly updates (which I continue to do on the 11th of every month, the anniversary date of being told I have cancer).

I've kept this blog going because I remember how helpful it was for me to hear first-hand experiences of other prostate cancer patients. I wanted to return the favor by sharing my own journey in order to educate others and increase prostate cancer awareness.

But I wanted it to be a truthful sharing of details, so you will quickly see that I didn't sugar-coat much of anything. That means that you'll find some pretty graphic descriptions of the male anatomy and biological functions in this blog.

Finally, if you're reading this as a fellow prostate cancer patient, please understand that I am not a medical professional, and you should not construe any of the content of this blog as medical advice. Each case is unique, so please solicit the advice of your own medical team.

I wish you all the best as you go through your own journey.

-- Dan

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 92 - Tubeless!


Finally!  For 33 of the last 38 days, I've had some additional plumbing coming out of my body.  The surgeon pulled the last drain out of me this afternoon.  Woo-freakin'-hoo!  This will be such a relief.  Now, let's just keep our fingers crossed that the fluid doesn't build up again now that the drain is out.

He wanted me to return in a month for a routine follow-up exam.

While there, I did specifically ask him whether or not the undetectable PSA level meant cancer-free, and he said yes.  I also asked about the chance of recurrence.  Given the particulars of my case, he said there's an 80% chance that I'll be cancer-free at the 10 year point.  That wasn't necessarily a surprise to me; I had read the long-term statistics in my research.

Of course, that means there will be a little cloud hovering over me for the rest of my life, but I don't plan on letting it rain on my parade.  It's just something that will always be there.

Finally, the surgeon also gave me the green light to return to work next week.

*     *     *

Before heading to the doctor, I had lunch with a friend from work at one of the local watering holes.  (And, yes, I skipped their home-brewed beer.)  It was good to get caught up with him.


1 comment:

  1. GREAT NEWS...... I know you feel like a "free" man. Monday is only hours away for your return to work..... on Valentine's Day. Hope you have some
    chocolates for all those who were your biggest supporters during these
    92 days. So happy to know that there will be "no rain on your parade".
    I'm certain your family finds this an exciting day and wish you the best.
    So do we. Hugs Nsquared in Arizona (tuba man is in Tempe getting
    ready for the biggie concert on Sunday while I slave over my own book-
    keeping and filing...... BORING)

    ReplyDelete