Welcome


Welcome.

When I wrote that banner above, I was just days into this adventure. I'm a pretty analytical guy, and the simple act of writing every day helped me wrap my head around the fact that I had just introduced the word "cancer" into my vocabulary, and it helped me rationalize my treatment options. It also helped keep friends and family informed on my status.

Those daily updates tapered off to weekly updates and eventually to monthly updates (which I continue to do on the 11th of every month, the anniversary date of being told I have cancer).

I've kept this blog going because I remember how helpful it was for me to hear first-hand experiences of other prostate cancer patients. I wanted to return the favor by sharing my own journey in order to educate others and increase prostate cancer awareness.

But I wanted it to be a truthful sharing of details, so you will quickly see that I didn't sugar-coat much of anything. That means that you'll find some pretty graphic descriptions of the male anatomy and biological functions in this blog.

Finally, if you're reading this as a fellow prostate cancer patient, please understand that I am not a medical professional, and you should not construe any of the content of this blog as medical advice. Each case is unique, so please solicit the advice of your own medical team.

I wish you all the best as you go through your own journey.

-- Dan

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Month 38 - Back in Pads (Temporarily)

First, happy 2014!  A new year, and a new beginning.

January 4th marks three years since my radical prostatectomy, so I've added a new page: "Life After a Radical Prostatectomy - 36 Months Later."  You can access it from the link on the right side of the page.

As far as last month's post is concerned, I'll keep the blog going every month for now, and play it by ear as the year progresses.  Thanks to those who offered words of encouragement, either privately or through comments.

Finally, another birthday has come and gone since last month's post, which is just fine by me.  They're only numbers, and it sure beats the alternative.  :)

Remember, the American Cancer Society's motto is that they are "The Official Sponsor of Birthdays," and they're a great resource to use.


BIOLOGY (AND PHYSICS) AHEAD

Okay.  It's been a while since I've used that little warning symbol.  

On a return to visit my family over the holidays, I managed to pick up a head cold as a nice supplemental Christmas present.  Of course, with most head colds, there's sneezing, coughing, and just plain misery. 

It's the sneezing and coughing that reintroduced me to Newton's third law of physics: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.  Big time.

Let's just say that every big sneeze and violent coughing up of mucus that had drained into my throat or lungs, caused enough urine to leak out the other end that I found myself back wearing pads for the worst days of the cold.  Not fun.

So my advice to you is to keep that package of pads handy for just such situations if you still suffer from stress incontinence.  (I still have a package of the standard men's pads that Depend put out, but now I see they have smaller, thinner pads, too.  It may be worth giving them a try.)




No comments:

Post a Comment