Welcome


Welcome.

When I wrote that banner above, I was just days into this adventure. I'm a pretty analytical guy, and the simple act of writing every day helped me wrap my head around the fact that I had just introduced the word "cancer" into my vocabulary, and it helped me rationalize my treatment options. It also helped keep friends and family informed on my status.

Those daily updates tapered off to weekly updates and eventually to monthly updates (which I continue to do on the 11th of every month, the anniversary date of being told I have cancer).

I've kept this blog going because I remember how helpful it was for me to hear first-hand experiences of other prostate cancer patients. I wanted to return the favor by sharing my own journey in order to educate others and increase prostate cancer awareness.

But I wanted it to be a truthful sharing of details, so you will quickly see that I didn't sugar-coat much of anything. That means that you'll find some pretty graphic descriptions of the male anatomy and biological functions in this blog.

Finally, if you're reading this as a fellow prostate cancer patient, please understand that I am not a medical professional, and you should not construe any of the content of this blog as medical advice. Each case is unique, so please solicit the advice of your own medical team.

I wish you all the best as you go through your own journey.

-- Dan

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Week 25 - Another Ocean

First, apologies for last week's truncated post.  I started it on Tuesday, forgot about it on Wednesday, and just hit the "Publish Post" button on Thursday as I was sitting on the beach in Coronado, California.

Yep.  I spread my wings and took my first post-surgery flight to San Diego on Wednesday night for a five day weekend in paradise.  Two weeks ago, I was pretty much on the Atlantic Ocean; this week, the Pacific.

I stayed near my old apartment on the island and just spent Thursday and Friday walking up and down Orange Avenue and the beach.  It was great.  Very relaxing.  On Saturday, I checked out of the hotel and spent the next two nights with some friends that I served with when I was in the Navy.  It was great to see them again.

Photos are available via the link to the right and below.

*     *     *

BIOLOGY AHEAD

I did have some concerns over getting through security at the airport with an absorbant pad shoved down my pants in case I got the full body scanner treatment, so I took a chance and went to the airport without wearing one.

As fate would have it, I did get the full body scanner screening and made it through just fine without it.  Afterwards, I asked the TSA agent what would happen if I had to wear the pad through the scanner.  He explained that I would be taking into a private screening area and be given a more thorough personal screening in there.

Even though I had extra pads in my carry-on bag, I opted not to wear one during the entire flight and, save a cough-induced leak, did quite well.

For the return trip, I did the same thing, but I could tell that it might be a leaky day, so I took a pad out of my carry-on, hit the men's room, and put it in place.

Walking several miles in an afternoon didn't seem to bother me too much at all.  I need to do more of that if the rain around here would only stop.

Things are getting better with time...  

So that's it for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment