Welcome


Welcome.

When I wrote that banner above, I was just days into this adventure. I'm a pretty analytical guy, and the simple act of writing every day helped me wrap my head around the fact that I had just introduced the word "cancer" into my vocabulary, and it helped me rationalize my treatment options. It also helped keep friends and family informed on my status.

Those daily updates tapered off to weekly updates and eventually to monthly updates (which I continue to do on the 11th of every month, the anniversary date of being told I have cancer).

I've kept this blog going because I remember how helpful it was for me to hear first-hand experiences of other prostate cancer patients. I wanted to return the favor by sharing my own journey in order to educate others and increase prostate cancer awareness.

But I wanted it to be a truthful sharing of details, so you will quickly see that I didn't sugar-coat much of anything. That means that you'll find some pretty graphic descriptions of the male anatomy and biological functions in this blog.

Finally, if you're reading this as a fellow prostate cancer patient, please understand that I am not a medical professional, and you should not construe any of the content of this blog as medical advice. Each case is unique, so please solicit the advice of your own medical team.

I wish you all the best as you go through your own journey.

-- Dan

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Week 23 - Road Trip

Most of the last week has been spent on the road.  Yep.  I managed to take my first post-surgery road trip and it went pretty well.

I actually left on Wednesday night (and used the scheduling feature to automatically post my blog post on Thursday) and headed south into Kentucky.  I spent the night in London, KY and Thursday morning headed to Cumberland Gap National Park.  The dogwoods and redbuds were in full bloom, so there were explosions of white, pink, and purple mixed into the forests that were just beginning to turn green.

I stopped at the Abraham Lincoln Museum on the campus of Lincoln Memorial Universaity in the tiny town of Harrogate, TN before heading off to Charlottesville, VA to visit Thomas Jefferson's home at Monticello.  Impressive.

From there, I became reacquainted with the Beltway traffic in the greater Washington, DC area as I visited a former coworker and her husband, and a college/Navy buddy whom I hadn't seen since around 1989 (we guessed). 

On Saturday, we hit the Museum of American History (part of the Smithsonian) and saw the Abraham Lincoln exhibit; the actual Star Spangled Banner that was flying over Ft. McHenry and inspired Francis Scott Key to write his poem; and saw the ruby red slippers that Judy Garland wore in the "Wizard of Oz."

On the way home, I stopped to see Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece, Fallingwater, in Mill Run, PA.  Awesome.  I spent the night near Pittsburgh and then headed home Tuesday afternoon.

You can check out photos from the trip using the link to my photos to the right.  (Don't worry--there's only 43 of them!)

*     *     *

BIOLOGY AHEAD

Physically, I did pretty well most days on the trip.  I could tell that I need to walk more to build up my endurance.  Most of the days, the incontinence was minimal, but there were one or two days where, after an extended period of walking around all day long, my body got tired and the minor leaks increased.  Again, take it gradually and build up my strength.

*     *     *

Finally, it's been a sad day, as today marks the fifth anniversary of Mom's passing...  We miss you, Mom.



No comments:

Post a Comment