Welcome


Welcome.

When I wrote that banner above, I was just days into this adventure. I'm a pretty analytical guy, and the simple act of writing every day helped me wrap my head around the fact that I had just introduced the word "cancer" into my vocabulary, and it helped me rationalize my treatment options. It also helped keep friends and family informed on my status.

Those daily updates tapered off to weekly updates and eventually to monthly updates (which I continue to do on the 11th of every month, the anniversary date of being told I have cancer).

I've kept this blog going because I remember how helpful it was for me to hear first-hand experiences of other prostate cancer patients. I wanted to return the favor by sharing my own journey in order to educate others and increase prostate cancer awareness.

But I wanted it to be a truthful sharing of details, so you will quickly see that I didn't sugar-coat much of anything. That means that you'll find some pretty graphic descriptions of the male anatomy and biological functions in this blog.

Finally, if you're reading this as a fellow prostate cancer patient, please understand that I am not a medical professional, and you should not construe any of the content of this blog as medical advice. Each case is unique, so please solicit the advice of your own medical team.

I wish you all the best as you go through your own journey.

-- Dan

Monday, November 15, 2010

Day 5 - Books, Scans, & Calls



Bad idea.
“100 Questions and Answers about Prostate Cancer” is not a good bedtime read.  I made through Question 57 and had to put the book down (mainly because it was 11:45 PM).
Most of the material that I read I had seen in my previous research.  But there was one particular section that made me feel as though I was reading a Stephen King novel by candlelight in a creaky old house.
Tables 6 and 7 in the book talked about the likelihood of the cancer spreading outside of the prostate  (Table 6) or to the lymph nodes (Table 7) based on your PSA score, your Gleason score, and your tumor staging designation.
Based on the descriptions in the book, I think my tumor would be a T2a or T2b.  Combine that with my PSA (5) and my Gleason score (6), and there’s a 66% chance that the cancer is confined to the prostate for a T2a tumor and a 44% chance that it’s confined to the prostate for a T2b tumor.  For the likelihood that it’s spread to the lymph nodes, it’s 4% and 11%, respectively.
I’ll definitely ask my doctor to confirm my interpretation of the tables when I see him on Thursday and ask him about the study and its legitimacy.
Needless to say, that little tidbit kept me tossing and turning a good chunk of the night, and I woke up this morning with a pit in my stomach and scared about the likelihood that the cancer has spread.  Not a good start to the day that I had a bone scan scheduled.
The bone scan was a piece of cake.  I went in at 10 AM to get injected with my radioactive juice, and went back at 1 PM for the actual scan.  I just had to lie on the table and keep still for 30 minutes.  She had to scan my melon-sized noggin twice; apparently the first image wasn’t satisfactory.  (No comments about the content or lack thereof, please!)
On my way out, I asked her if she saw anything that would indicate further testing might be required.  She told me the doctor would go over the results with me on Thursday, but that I shouldn’t get too worked up before then.  I guess that’s a positive sign, but I’ll withhold setting expectations for now.
Just days before my biopsy, I received a jury duty questionnaire from the Ripley County Court.  It was just what I needed on top of everything else that was going on.  My doctor wrote a note that I can send in with the survey in an effort to get me out of serving.   We’ll see if it works.
When I returned home, I found a message on my answering machine from my urologist’s office.  She wanted me to call a surgeon that my urologist recommended to set up an appointment to review my case.  He was one of three that my urologist had recommended during that initial meeting on Day 1.
That threw me for a loop.  I’m not ready to start talking to surgeons yet. 
You know me.  I wanted to take time to research all three of them to see what I found about their backgrounds, training, number of procedures performed, and complication rates.  I also was under the impression that we'd wait for the results of my bone scan and colonoscopy before we started talking specific treatment options.  I guess I’ll have to accelerate that research now.
It also makes me wonder if there’s a greater sense of urgency here than I was originally led to believe.  Or, perhaps, it’s just that to get on this guy’s calendar, you have to book months in advance.  Either way, I’m feeling pressured to take the next step, perhaps prematurely.  I’ll talk to my urologist on Thursday to get the real scoop.
So I started the day anxious, had a bright middle of the day, and ended it feeling pressured and confused.  I’m not sure you’ll find “100 Questions and Answers about Prostate Cancer” on my nightstand tonight.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if some wine would show up purple with all your radioactive juice mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering? Did you glow in the dark last night with all that radioactive injected in you? All kidding aside, you can read and educate yourself, but each person is different based on their own family history, health, diet, environment, etc. Remember, you have been blessed with health up unti now, so your body is strong! Hang on to that thought! However, I also know that we "Zellers" want to be in control and this is something that is out of your control. I can only imagine that you feel at times like your "floating" alone at sea. There may be some rough waters at times or some stormy seas, but just like in the Navy, keep looking at the horizon!!! You WILL get through this and you WILL land back on shore! Love you!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Lori so true!! Very well Said!! Remember what you little Sister just said Dan!!

    ReplyDelete